Thursday, 1 March 2012

"That's Sew Cinematic" Sew along- Fashion in movies inspiration



First, a very small apologies- no purple circle skirt as promised... I wanted to take pictures in picturesque mid-Wales last week-end, then 1) I forgot to take said pictures 2) The skirt stayed there while I am in South Wales. I could ask my boyfriend to model the skirt (after all I fit in his jeans- yeah, horror) but you know, I think I'm just going to be waiting for the skirt in the post. Hopefully, it should be with me before the week-end, and I promise, I will take pictures this time.

EDIT: The skirt will apparently not be sent by post,  it will come back with my boyfriend's brother but since I don't know when I'm going to see him next I have no idea when I'll be able to get it back. Oh well...

********************************************************************

I am extremely excited about Rhinestones and Telephones's new sew-along called "That's Sew Cinematic". Basically, "The goal is to create garments inspired by your favourite actors/actresses from film, stage and television". There are several categories to choose from: FROCKS FROM THE FLICKS, TINSELTOWN TOPPERS, FEATURE FILM FOUNDATIONS, SLIP INTO THE SILVER SCREEN, THE SWEATER GIRL, and THE ABILITY TO ACCESSORIZE. Detailed descriptions of the categories can be found on Rhinestones and Telephones's blog.

Does it sound as exciting to you as it does to me? I love movies, and I always pay a lot of attention to clothes in movies.So here are a couple of  my inspirations:









First, the lovely Peppy Miller from "The Artist"!!! A bit of a tricky look to replicate since all the pictures are in black and white. However an interview with Mark Bridges, the costume designer for The Artist on the L.A Times  about the costume designs on the movie provided some great additional info on some of the costumes...


All I need now is to find a suitable pattern- I have been wondering whether the one-hour dress pattern available on the internet is any good- anyone tried it??

Geraldine Dormoy-Tungate, from L'Express has some fashion and movies-themed posts on her blog. She is the one who made me want to watch "Une Femme est une Femme" (the only Godard movie I can stand).

Source

Source

Now isn't this blue dress lovely? And it looks sort of easy to make...

I have recently watched Brief Encounter- lots of great 40s fashion, and such a great (and heart-breaking) story.


I couldn't find a lot of pictures of Laura's outfits online, so I might watch it again and pause when I see an interesting outfit.


Another take on 40s fashion (and a favourite movie of mine), Rachel in Blade Runner...

Source

Source

Another favourite of mine, Audrey Tautou in Amelie. She wears really feminine and quirky outfits.



Talking about quirky, one of the first clothes shock I ever had watching a movie was Thora Birch in Ghost World. This is another movie I re-watched recently and I can't recommend it enough, it is quite bitter though, but it is brilliant in showing how friendships can quickly drift apart when you grow up.






I could go on and on!

Do fashion in movies inspire you?

xx

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! Your inspirations are so fun! I love Peppy's costumes (I should see the movie) and Amelie is always terrific for inspiration. :)

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

Sarah said...

All of your inspirations are great! I especially love Peppy's and Amelie's costumes :)

Debi said...

LOVE your movie inspirations! Especially the movie Amelie! LOVE it!!

Noas' Libellule said...

Great inspiration! I love gossip girl, such great inspiration for clothes, and sex in the city...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...