Sunday, 12 February 2012

Sew Grateful Week- My Sugarberry briefs and Stripy Bandeau Bra ♥ ♥ ♥



Yeah! I have finally gone back to sewing with a wonderful simple project taken from Sweet Nothings, which was one of the books I got for my Christmas/ birthday.


The Sugarberry briefs really caught my eye and seemed like one of the easiest projects in the book. I also happened to have all the material needed so there was nothing to stop me, right?...

Wrong!!! My sewing machine decided to play up as soon as I got near it. In the end it wasn't a massive problem as I originally feared. The needle kept hitting something under the plate, and after a couple of (very noisy) stitches it would break. I changed the needle a first time, nothing happened, then I noticed it was slightly bent. I suspect I have been using the same needles over and over again as I tend to leave them lying there instead of throwing them away when they become useless. So really I had only myself to blame!!

The very good surprise of the day was that I discovered I have a special serger stitch on my sewing machine which is amazing and makes sewing knits a doodle.

The result? Well, here it is!




I got loads of stretch lace from the fabric shop since it was the end of the roll- they gave some of it to me for free which was great. Really, I didn't have any problems making this up, the instructions are really well written and I am really pleased with the result.

(Sadly you won't see me modelling this!! I don't want to scare anyone with my bum cellulite extravaganza thank you.)

I am planning on making a coordinated bandeau bra with the black lace. I have so much I could probably make a whole new wardrobe to be honest.

Since my first project went well and I still had a bit of time, I decided to experiment with some stripy cotton fabric I had in my stash. This is also a Sew Grateful project since the fabric was given to me by my grandmother's partner (he is not my grandfather, she met him after my grandfather passed away). Back in the days he used to sell Singer sewing machines, and this was the fabric he used to make demos. I wanted to see if I could make a shirred bandeau bra which would be useful in summer under halter-neck dresses.


This was my first go at shirring and you can see it's not even, but as it was an experiment I wasn't expecting it to turn as nice as this. The back is not shirred, I sewed two pieces of fabric which can be tied in the back.


I finished it by sewing a bit of elasticated lace on the front. I also did that last year for my bikini as extra support- I'd rather have too much than not enough!!!

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my love affair with sewing lingerie. Obviously there is still a lot of room for improvement but I'm feeling very inspired, so watch this space!!!

x

5 comments:

Megan said...

Oooh, you're a bit braver than me, making those black lace knickers! And the bandeau looks amazing, perfect for summer! Congratulations on your first go at doing lingere-type things, maybe one day I'll join you in the ranks of people who aren't scared to try it!

Noas' Libellule said...

I am not sure I would do lingerie, but honestly those knickers look brilliant!

Wendy said...

I never thought I would say this to anyone, but your knickers are really great! :) And the bandeau is such a clever idea!

I have just finished making the Colette Mini bloomers, which are really cute, and it has really made me want to have a go at making vintage style lingerie, as it would be lovely to have a totally home-made outfit:) x

Popbabe7 said...

Thank you all!!!

I have the mini bloomers pattern from Colette saved on my computer somewhere, it's on my to-do list!

Tors said...

They look fab! I'm very impressed, lingerie sewing is yet another thing that scares the hell out of me, you've done an amazing job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...