Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Reflecting on... A Project A Week


Belated Happy New Year! I hope you all had a good time. This year I decided to take a couple of extra days off to make the most of my time in France, which turned out to be the best idea ever! Most of the time was spent with my sister, her partner and their baby, not to forget their adorable dog. Whilst they were getting used to being parents I was helping out in the flat. We had such a great time and it gave me an idea of the amount of work involved (lots!). But looking at new life is amazing, and I feel very privileged to have witnessed the subtle transitions happening every day. I met him as a newborn but when I left he was already looking and acting more like a baby, looking at us and trying to smile (mostly does it in his sleep or after being fed, but every now and then you could just about see one when he was awake). It's crazy to imagine everything happening in his little brain at the moment.

I also got the opportunity to spend a couple of days at my parents' towards the end of my stay. Sadly this time is now over, and I had to go back to work and get on with my own life. It's not bad though; I have been truly spoilt for Christmas and my birthday.

January if of course a time to make new resolutions. Last year I wanted to move flat and kicked off A Project A Week. We moved in our flat in February, and whilst it's far from being perfect I am not looking back and still think this was a good decision. As for APAW, well... I am not going to lie: I would have liked to complete 52 projects and feel bad for only missing 7 projects (although the comments left on a precedent posts really touched me- thank you Tors and Noas' Libellule- this is what makes blogging so enjoyable). Looking back on the whole thing, it might have been a bit too ambitious, and in the end a lot of the projects- mostly from the beginning- have ended up tucked away on top of my spare fabric pile!

On the other hand I do have a handful of very nice clothes which I love to wear- and always feel very proud when someone comment on this and I'm able to answer "I made this". Last time it happened was yesterday with my scalloped waistband half circle skirt. . As for the knitting side, I have gone from strength to strength, gone is my fear of purling- I even do ribbing now!

I also started APAW to save money. Naively, I thought I was going to stop shopping for clothes altogether. Well, this obviously didn't happen!! I did buy less- but I still did buy clothes. I have noticed I do think twice though before buying so there is a definite improvement there.

I am determined not to give up on sewing, knitting and making stuff, and maybe focus on making less stuff, but spending more time on the stuff I make. I also really need to stop buying craft supplies- my knitting project list is as long as my arm!!

When this blog was started I was thinking I would just talk about anything, but as time went by it became away of talking about my projects, my numerous frustrations and the occasional success. APAW gently forced me to update the blog regularly, and I hope to carry on  posting about what I am up to. Above all it enabled me to talk to wonderful people- and each comment makes me feel happy. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it. So in 2012 there won't be the cheap and nasty APAW logo but I'll still be here, documenting what I have been creating. I also hope my photographic skills will improve, as this is a major let down of the blog at the moment. I have been talking about getting a decent camera for some time but might finally take the plunge...


xx





3 comments:

Noas' Libellule said...

Happy New Year to you! and happy belated birthday too! Love the picture of you and the baby, so sweet! I do hope you carry on with the blog.. Will be great to hear about your progress!

Tors said...

I'm glad you got to have more time in France, such a lovely photo of you and the baby!

I can't wait to see what you create this year, I'm intensely jealous of your knitting, I simply don't have the patience and so I like to see what everyone else is making that I can't.

Popbabe7 said...

Thank you! Oooh, the pressure's on now!

There were tons of lovely pics of the baby, but had to pick one where he wasn't in sight as such. My sister and her partner haven't published any pics on facebook or anywhere online so I want to respect that. Looking at his hands though he seems a bit tense!!

Tors, it's interesting what you say about knitting and lack of patience, since it's the same for me with sewing. Reading through the awesome Colette Patterns book I just keep thinking "I haven't got the time to do all this."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...