Wednesday, 9 November 2011

A Project A Week 43: 60s style wool skirt

A couple of weeks ago I got two very cheap pieces of heavy wool fabric (less than £5 inc. postage), they were listed as mustard coloured but when I received them they turned out to be more green than I thought. I was a bit disappointed and didn't know what to do with them, until I saw a girl wearing a straight skirt in heavy wool which looked stunning. The fabric looked very similar to the one I bought, so I came home for lunch, grabbed one of my beginners pattern (Kwik Sew 3765) and started cutting my pieces. That was all I had time for, but after work I went straight to my sewing machine and an hour later I had my skirt!!!

The fabric was fantastic to work with, very thick but as much as being a problem being sewn. This is such a straight-forward pattern as well: 1 front, 1 back, make a casing, thread your elastic and hem- done!! I used it on a thinner fabric (my IKEA orange bird fabric skirt seen here). I didn't have a 2.5cm wide elastic, only 2cm so changed the casing accordingly. I also made the skirt a little longer.

Before taking the pics above I was looking for the camera for ages, so gave up and took the following with my webcam. I do apologise for the quality, but since you've seen decent pics of the skirt I guess you have an idea of what it really looks like.



I still have another piece of this fabric, and I'm seriously considering making myself a coordinated cape, a bit bigger than my tartan one. This is a fab skirt, very warm for winter. The only downside is that it's a bit itchy, so I'll be wearing a petticoat under it, or maybe I'll sew some lining inside. I'm not sure I can do it though once it's finished? This is something new to me but I might investigate!!

xx

1 comment:

Tors said...

Ooh, I loves it! It looks great on, and I really like that length too. What a quick skirt to whip up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...