It all started on Ravelry (of all places eh). I was looking for garter stitch patterns (this was when I was still lazy) and noticed a beautiful pattern called Nati which looked beautiful and easy enough to make. It was £3.50, but I thought it looked so easy that I would, at some point, have a go at it (I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to buying pattern in case they are way too advanced and will discourage me completely, so usually I stick to the free ones). When I looked into it, I noticed it was made with a very chunky wool very similar to some discontinued vintage Emu Snowball I had- 5 and a half balls, bought on eBay in the early days of my knitting adventures (I got the blue yarn after making the cape in red). All I needed was a pair of 10mm circular needles. I was a little scared because I stupidly thought you could only use circular to knit in the round (yeah, laugh at me all you like). I soon realised there was nothing to be scared of, and I actually understand now why so many people prefer to use them than straight needles. It was a very interesting experience.
The pattern is unbelievably easy and knitted in one piece, with minimal seaming in the end. Most of it is garter stitch but there's an interesting reverse stocking stitch part on the waist which gives the jumper a little twist. Also, I got stuck on one part and got in touch with the designer through Ravelry and she got back to me the day after, she is really friendly (I doubt anyone else would need help though- the explanations are so clear and easy to understand).
The only problem I had was that the pattern called for 6 balls of yarn for my size (S) and I only had 5 and roughly 3/4 (having used a bit of the blue wool to make a knitted collar on a red t-shirt, which turned it instantly into the perfect clown outfit.). So I downsized the width of the sleeves a bit of a couple of centimetres, which in the end was a good idea since I finished knitting and there was less than 1/4 of the last ball left!
Thanks to Ravelry I know it only took me two weeks to complete- and bear in mind that during this time, I was working late, but I found this jumper so nice to knit that I never missed an occasion to grab it and knit a few rows. I also took it with me to the Motorpoint Arena last week during the Knit 1 Pass it on event.
This was also my first go at blocking...
This was actually just before blocking. The front panel is clearly longer than the back, but blocking sorted all this out. I just used the sprinkler on my iron (switched off obviously) and sprinkle some water on the whole piece, then placed T-Pins (which I had real trouble finding- everyone ran out of them the week I wanted them). This morning, it felt dry but I left it a little bit longer- just in case. This afternoon, I seamed it, and was finally able to see how it looked!!
|The great "Taking the picture from my phone" pose!!!|
I am surprised at how comfortable this is, the yarn has a high content of wool (63%) so I thought it might be a bit itchy, but it's not, it's very cosy and unbelievably warm without being too bulky. And as many people said on Ravelry, it has a very feminine shape and drapes very well- I can see myself pairing this with so many of my skirts!!
I can't remember how much I exactly paid for the yarn (it was a couple of years ago) but I'd guess no less than £20. I can safely say I wouldn't get anything like this, with the same quality and the same content of yarn in the High Street for this price. I don't really count the time it took me to make it, because it wasn't a chore at all. I'm even thinking I could make another one for someone for Christmas...
Next on my knitting list is the burgundy jumper I ordered from Phildar (featured on my Autumn Equinox post). It is slightly more advanced, but hey- I'm not scared anymore!!!!