Monday, 3 October 2011

A Project A Week 38: Tartan cape a la Vivienne Westwood

My post yesterday was very short, so today I am posting about a bigger project. It has been quite a random one- about 2 hours ago I hadn't started yet!!!

By now you would have noticed that I like a bit of tartan. So when L'Express.fr had a slideshow today on all things tartan I had an innocent look, knowing only too well that most of the stuff would be overpriced ahem, over my financial means.

I saw a lot of gorgeous stuff but this below really caught my eye:

From L'Express.fr
This lovely little cape is from Vivienne Westwood's Red Label, and is priced 405 Euros. I had a look at it, and realised that for 405 Euros all you get is a rectangle of fabric with a drawstring at the top and a big blue tie. OK, it's a wool cape, and it's Vivienne Westwood but come on...

In my post about all the skirts I was planning to mess up make I mentioned a tartan cotton bought in France this Summer. I did try to start on a skirt this week-end, but ended up being confused and sewing right side with wrong side (...), so I used this to make up my own version of an Autumn cape (I still have enough fabric left for the skirt, which I'm still hoping to make- it would make a lovely outfit with the cape!).

An hour later (and feeling very sorry for my neighbours who had to listen to my sewing machine a bit later in the day than it should have been)...


It is not as "covering" as the V. Westwood one, as I had a little less fabric than expected, but in a way I think it's better as it doesn't seem to be getting in the way as much. The fabric was a real pleasure to work with, a kind of thick, brushed cotton, like flannel. I sewed two squares together to make it a bit thicker, pressed the seams, tidied up the edges and made a casing. The tie is one of my numerous scarves.

This is how it looks on a slouchy person:




So there, a perfect Project A Week for me, I used my stash and now have my own trendy cape for a fraction of the price. Now I have to make this damn skirt!!

xx

2 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Wow; you beat them out, and yours did not cost 405 euros, I'll bet! :o)

Radka said...

Looks georgeous, I like it way more than the one from Viviene Westwood :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...