Saturday, 1 October 2011

A Project A Week 36: The KnIT bag (sorry, bad pun...)

Ooooh I'm a little late in sharing this project with you- it was completed last week!!

A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted a new bag, and since the weather was turning cold and Autum- like, I thought a nice knitted bag in chunky yarn would be fab!! So I knitted this long rectangle mostly in stockinette stitch. I used 6mm wooden needles (gift from my partner's gran) and a ball of Stylecraft Life Chunky in Rose.


I just love how it turned out, but I still needed to do a bit of work to turn it into a bag. First I sewed some lining (a never-used tea towel bought once in France- because it was pretty!)

Well, yes, it IS pretty, even as lining of a bag.
Then I decided to use a spare dogtooth scarf (I have so many...) as a handle. I first threaded it into the stitches at the top of the bag (drawstring-like) but of course, the lining was not included, and it was messy to open and close... For practicality, I made a couple of small holes in the lining (I'll just have to make sure they don't grow too big and tear the whole lining apart- I'm afraid I didn't do this in a very tidy way.)


As a finishing touch I decided to add a bow in my never-ending black and white fabric. It looked great when I made it, but sewing it onto the bag puffed it up a bit, and it doesn't look as good as I thought. Still, I like it!!

Here is the final result! The first day out to try it on was actually an evening (a meal with my workmates) and someone did comment on it, saying it looked really well made! I also had a couple of people telling me about it the following week- it is so nice when people compliment you on something you made isn't it?

 

Since then the weather has gone crazy! Today was 1st October but it was hotter than this Summer, so the bag looks a bit out of place at the moment- but I'm sure it will get plenty of use in the next few months!

 Talking about knitting, today was the day where I was volunteering along with the UK Hand Knitting Association at the Creative Stitches and Hobbycraft show at the Motorpoint Arena. There were so many youngsters who wanted to learn, it was amazing!! I taught only one teenager, and she was a little bit grumpy. I don't think she really wanted to be there, but I showed her anyway. Who knows, when she sees all the chunky knits in the High Street she might think "Hey maybe I could do it myself". The show was good, I saw a wonderful exhibition on the art of Lace, some costumes from Downtown Abbey and Above and Below the Waves, a huge 3D knitted aquarium raising money for the RNLI's Train 1 Save Many campaign. There were also a couple of shops selling wool- and although I did buy some it could have been much, much worse (I'm thinking of a pack of 12 balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in mustard which I put back after seriously considering it, even though I didn't have a pattern in mind for it.). A great day all-in-all, and I hope that there will be more crafts this week-end!!!

xx





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...