Saturday, 24 September 2011

A Project A Week 35: "Blizzard" fingerless gloves

Hey I'm back!!! I can't believe I have been a few weeks without updating the blog, but September is always very hectic for me, working in education it's a mad rush to get all the students in and I have been working late evening shifts twice a week all this month, so this might explain why this blog was a bit silent lately (after working 12 hours behind a computer the last thing you want to do is come home and stare at another computer!). I have had a bit of time for crafting though, so in the next few weeks will blog about what I've been up to. I am behind my schedule (I believe it's week 38 now in calendar year) but should catch up very soon!

I have neglected a bit my sewing machine (even if it did have a sort of happy ending, the stud saga was a setback) and with colder weather being on us have turned to my trusted knitting needles (not to mention that it is a great way to unwind after a long day). A couple of weeks ago, I decided to knit another pair of my super simple garter stitch mitts (which i shouldn't call like that since they're not, they're fingerless gloves- oh the subtleties of hand wear!). A couple of rows got me thinking; will I ever knit in something else than garter stitch? Should I give myself a kick up the backside and stop acting silly and lazy, get out of my comfort zone and (wait for it) PURL??



And this is what it came as: the lovely "Blizzard" fingerless gloves. I don't know why I decided to call them Blizzard, but I guess the multitude of colours in the yarn inspired me. All I did was to add on a stockinette stitch part on the top, the rest is still garter stitch, but as there is no gauge as such, I guess this could be knitted in all stockinette stitch.


 The contrast between the two stitches looks really nice, it adds a bit of texture. The wool was part of my stash (bought in Hobbycraft at the beginning of the year) and the buttons were bought a couple of months ago, during our trip to Weymouth I believe.

These are really comfy and soft, and because Wendy Skye has a bit of mohair they are warm and a bit fluffy (the downside being you end up with fluffs when you knit it, but not too much to be a real pain.)


 

It looks great with a great nail varnish!!! I got this one in Boots last week, it's No7 in Teal. I highly recommend it!



These fingerless gloves have now gone to my partner's mum. She works in a very cold office and thought these were perfect to warm her hands while typing.

I'm hoping to put this variation of my pattern on Ravelry very soon!

xx

2 comments:

Aurore said...

elle est belle cette laine mélangée... bravo ! c'est très joli !

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Very pretty! And kind of you to share your mitts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...