Friday, 26 August 2011

A Project A Week 33: the cheapest skirt ever?

Oh I am so divided about this one. On one hand, I think it look gorgeous. On the other hand I'm not sure I can wear it. So any advice will be appreciated.

Do you remember my scalloped skirt from week 21? It is probably the handmade skirt I wear the most. I just love the colour and making another one has been on the back of my mind for a while. But I wanted to use a slightly different fabric to see what the result would be. Suddenly last Saturday evening, I remembered I had 3 remnants of silk lying in a bag, waiting to be used. That's right, 3 beautiful big pieces of pure silk which I got last year at the Laura Ashley pre-Christmas sale in Carno, mid-Wales. I paid £1 for these 3 pieces. 1 POUND. I know, it's a crazy world.

I got the black silk remnant (the other colours were lilac and bright red) and realised there was enough for the scalloped skirt, so I cut out my pieces. It was getting a bit late so I left them there until Sunday where I started sewing it. And this is what it looks like now!



First issue: the silk had been folded for so long that it had creased like anything I've ever seen. But a lot of cool ironing seemed to sort out the problem... only for a little while.

I didn't have any major problems sewing up the skirt, having done it already once. The silk was surprisingly easy to work with, not slippery at all. I did cut the waistband slightly smaller than I should have though. It makes putting it on a bit awkward (but once it's on, it's fine. My bum is too big!!).

There was a bit of a drama when I accidentally made a hole in the skirt, I frantically tried to fix it (badly) and then decided I would cover it with something. And it was my first attempt at inserting an invisible zipper.

This is supposed to be an invisible zipper...


The skirt was nearly finished when I realised the length was a bit too short for my taste. As it is cut on the bias it would have been a major headache to add a panel on so I decided to leave it the way it way and replace the baby hem with some bias tape. Yep, I was eager to have another go at it and was praying it wouldn't end the same way as my t-shirt. Looking through my stash I discovered some unopened vintage bias tape (a gift from my partner's gran):


I nearly used the whole lot! But I LOVE the way it looks on the skirt.

I wasn't drunk when I sewed this, honest


The last thing to sort out was this nasty rip. I decided to go for a retro look emblem made of bias tape and a spare crochet button found on my stash.


I didn't think it would fold in the waistband when I move though, and you might be able to see that I nearly missed covering the rip in the fabric. Ah well. You live and learn (but do you really?).

I called this the cheapest skirt ever because I worked out it cost me less than £1. The price for the 3 remnants was £1 so that's roughly 34p a piece. The bias tape was a gift, and the zip was bought in a bundle on eBay. Not bad for a pure silk skirt!!

In theory I should love it. It feels luxurious, doesn't look bad at all and it's a shape I love. The problem I have is the fabric. It is just too stiff. If I lift one side up in the air it stays that way. It doesn't look natural and I don't feel comfortable wearing it (I'm thinking this fabric might be upholstery fabric rather than dressmaking) . Do you have any tips on removing stiffness from silk garments?

xx

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Did you try soaking it a while in a solution of water and fabric softener? I think it is quite flirty the way it is and very cute.

Knit Spirit said...

Your skirt is beautiful, congrats!

Radka said...

Looks great, good job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...