Wednesday, 24 August 2011

A Project A Week 32: The easy slouchy dress (inspired by "Chic on a shoestring" easy slouchy top)

It didn't take me long to get back on the sewing machine after drooling over the projects included in "Chic on a shoestring". As Austin Powers would say "My Mojo's back baby"!!!!

One of the projects which really caught my eye was an easy slouchy top made with two vintage scarves. A very simple project which somehow seems to work- at least on the photo of the book!

I do own a couple of vintage scarves but for a first try I decided to go through my stash of fabric (having taken the excellent decision to buy a 50L transparent plastic box to store them all. Best. Buy. EVER!!) and found a long remnant of very colourful, 60s style fabric which was as light as silk. And then I thought, if this works for a top, would it work for a dress? After all, my remnant is long enough to try this...

So here it is, my tribute to the Easy Slouchy Top: the Easy Slouchy Dress!!



 This is sooooo easy and I even created more work for myself by using some fabric. The beauty of using scarves is that you have no raw edge to hide, everything is already neat. I had to sort out the raw fabric on the armholes and the bottom hem... But it was a doodle with my sewing machine.

It is very slouchy. I was floating in it but as soon as I put on a wide belt it looked beautiful. The fabric drapes beautifully everywhere it should: the shoulders look great, the waist is emphasised and the length is perfect. This dress would be ideal on a hot day, sipping ice cold mochaccino.

One last alteration I made was on the neckline: I folded the dress in half and cut a bit at the front, giving the neckline a mini v shape. I didn't bother sorting out the raw edges on there though- you can hardly tell.



This fabric is very light and it was a pleasure to sew, but I always found the design a bit too flamboyant. The wide belt seems to tame things a bit, and I would probably accessorise with a kimono sleeve black cardi to give a bit of rest to the eye. However this could be the perfect way to work through all these remnants which I've foolishly bought without really knowing what to with them.

xx



3 comments:

Aurore said...

wow ! très jolie cette robe qui donne du peps... j'aime beaucoup ! je n'ose jamais les imprimés comme ça, ça ne doit pas être mon style car je me sens déguisée...

Popbabe7 said...

Justement, c'est ce qui me bloque un peu, j'ai l'impression que ca fait un peu carnaval! Mais bon, avec un gilet et la ceinture noire ca devrait attenuer un peu. Le tissu est vraiment agreable et je pense que cette robe va etre bien utile les jours ou je reste trainer a la maison!!

Noas' Libellule said...

I like it. I see what you mean by the fabric to be a bit flamboyant though.. .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...