Tuesday, 19 July 2011

To Dye for? Dylon Wash and Dye take 2

A month ago I posted a couple of reviews, one of them was for Dylon Wash and Wear. You might remember that the result was far from being a success, and that I decided to buy another packet and give it another go. I have now done this and can report. And no, it's not pretty.

Before I get to the heart of the subject, I would like to point out that I am the sort of person who reads any instructions about 10 000 times and won't stray from them. It was my second time round using Dylon Wash and Dye but it didn't stop me reading the instructions again and follow them religiously. I was just too scared of missing a step. So I did exactly the same as the first time, and as for the first time when it came out of the washing machine I was disappointed. Still this dreary dark olive colour. Still THESE SPECKLES AAAAaaaarrrrgghhhhh.

This time round I took pictures- I believe the differences in colour don't show much, but you can definitely see these damn speckles.









I've given up on this jacket now. There is no way I can wear it- if I had known I would have left it pale yellow. It looked a bit eighties, but now it just looks like it belongs to a lady zombie from "Day of the Dead".

I thought this was it, but at lunchtime I had a bit of a bad surprise hanging my freshly washed bed sheets (a nice set from Laura Ashley- gift from my partner's mum)...





We didn't try to wrap a bike chain with the sheets, honest! I have been doing a couple of washes at different temperatures between using the Dylon Wash and Dye and today (including some white stuff), and didn't notice any stains, and I also thoroughly cleaned the washing machine straight after dyeing the jacket. It had to be on my Laura Ashley bedding right?? All I'm hoping is that it will go when I wash the sheets next, but I haven't got much faith- it's dye after all....

Someone from Dylon called Claire left a comment on my first review so I have contacted her, with the pictures sent as an attachment. I told her how I felt about this product. Honestly I don't think I will ever use it again. Ruining the jacket was bad already, but my bed sheets... especially since the instructions tell you that the second wash will clean your washing machine...

I am now running a empty 60 degrees cycle with some Washing machine cleaner from Oust- and hope that I will not have any more bad surprises after this!. As for the jacket- any idea on what could possibly save it?

Until next time,

xx

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

What a bummer, especially on Laura Ashley! I have never had good luck with dyes. Was thinking of putting a couple of red streaks on my dyed blonde bangs, but maybe not...

Noas' Libellule said...

J'ai un paquet de DYLON wash and dye a la maison que je voulais essayer. D'un seul coup je me sens pas du tout prete.

Si tu l'avais fait dans un sceau, et non a la machine a laver tu crois que le resultat aurait mieux?

Popbabe7 said...

@ Nancy: Looking on the net, it seems that anyone trying Dylon is either very successful or it ends up like me. But I think you should give a go at "streaking" your blonde bangs! (Can I say this? Streaking has another meaning here in the UK...)

@ Noas'Libellule: Le Wash and Dye est specialement fait pour la machine a laver, la teinture est pre-melangee au sel. L'argument c'est que c'est plus facile a utiliser et que ca fait moins de bazar/ moins de taches tout en etant aussi efficace. Je ne suis pas convaincue... Apres tout ce fiasco je pensais passer ma veste a la teinture classique dans un seau (apres tout, fichue pour fichue) mais j'ai deja eu un mal de chien a nettoyer ma machine a laver et ma cuisine avec le Wash and Dye (la poudre est incroyablement reactive et il suffit d'un peu d'eau pour faire des traces partout), j'ai tres peur de faire des traces partout dans l'appartement. Je crois que la teinture et moi c'est fini!

Le service conso a ete reglo, apres l'email que je leur ai envoye ils m'ont envoye un questionnaire pour la veste et vont m'envoyer un detachant pour mes draps.

Honnetement je ne recommande pas, maintenant ca depend ce que tu veux teinter, si c'est un jean je pense qu'il n'y aura pas de problemes...

Oh et un revendeur de Dylon sur internet a cru bon de laisser un commentaire tout a fait incongru, dans un Anglais plus qu'approximatif, chantant les louanges de Dylon. Vive les spams!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...