Saturday, 9 July 2011

A Project A Week 25: The Death by Sewing skirt part 2- Popbabe7's vengeance!!

In the early weeks of my challenge I encountered some problems making a skirt (you can read all about it here) and I nearly convinced myself that maybe, sewing was not the right thing for me since I was rubbish at it. Now that I have a state-of-the-art sewing machine and I know more what I am doing (i.e. stopped cutting corners) I decided to make a quick project: this 20 minute skirt.

I used a remnant from IKEA (again), a plain black cotton which was lighter than the fabric used in the Death by Sewing skirt. I remembered the fabric being too heavy for the shape of the skirt, and I didn't want another hot air balloon skirt that I wasn't going to wear.

The skirt did NOT take me 20 minutes but it was all done in about 2 hours. I am definitely taking more my time now and it just pays off. I also had to go to the computer every now and then to check the instructions.



This is the final result. I embellished the bottom of the skirt with some wide black and white stripped ribbon. The skirt is very bouffant and falls just below the knee. I wanted the waistband casing to fall on my hips rather than my waist for comfort but somehow my elastic was a bit too big, and the top is a bit floppy. It isn't really noticeable when you stick a jumper on top of it though. It is very wide and sits well. It is also incredibly comfortable and I can see myself wearing this again and again. I do have to wear a petticoat though- the fabric is slightly transparent in some light!!



I didn't encounter any problems with my sewing machine, it sewed effortlessly through different layers. The ribbon was stitched to the skirt on each black stripe.

So this was a very different story from the first time! I have been making a couple of skirts so far, maybe it's time to think about something more challenging like a dress???



Until next time,

xx

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Nice job! And I definitely like your shoes.

Noas' Libellule said...

really good! Glad you persevered! I love the hem on your skirt - really had un-je-ne-sais-quoi to the skirt

Noas' Libellule said...

great job, glad you persevered. Love the hem, it really finishes off your skirt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...