Friday, 8 July 2011

A Project A Week 23: Crochet edged winter dress

This was the last project entirely done on my old Singer sewing machine, before it started playing up, and is so not a seasonal project.

A few years ago I got a wool winter dress from la Redoute, with balloon sleeves and a shirred empire-style waist. It was very warm but I never really liked it. Last winter I was considering getting rid of it, but felt a bit bad, because a wool dress is always useful! So I put it aside in my possible projects shelve.

When I started crochet I was amamzed to see that it could be used as an embellishment for your clothes, and decided to add a contrasting crochet edge to this dress. Here it is now:





And here is a close up on the crochet edge. I made two strips of the same width as the bottom of the dress and joined them at the side seams.





I then sewed the edges on the bottom hem of the dress using my sewing machine. It looked great but I still thought it could do with something else so I added this gigantic white button:





And threaded some wool to give some basic embellishment on the sleeves:




I much prefer it that way. I think it looks a bit Christmas-sy?

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...