At last today I managed to have some pictures taken of this project. The camera is buried somewhere in the flat behind some of my boyfriend's brother's stuff so we had to make do with a phone camera. The pics are not too bad and you can see the finish result lately.
So here it is: my lovely handmade and successful scalloped waistband skirt!!
I found this little beauty on Grosgrain's free pattern month (EDIT : click here) , and as it looked fairly easy decided to give it a go, using a remnant of wine coloured synthetic fabric I had in my stash.
Here is a close-up on the scalloped waistband- really easy to make and looks stunning. The fabric was easy to work with, and I decided to take my time. I still managed to do it in 2 evenings.
There is a zipper in the center back of the skirt, I couldn't get a proper picture of it. I didn't have any concealed zipper in my stash and none that matched the skirt so I went with a contrasting camel coloured zip which I hand-sewed. Yes, I decided I wasn't going to take any chances! At first it looked a bit wonky but it seems gravity has won and it is now straight (I think I might have helped gravity though with lots of steam).
The skirt was left to hang for 24 hours before stitching a baby hem. It was the first time I was doing it- daunting at first, but with patience and a lot of dressmaking pins managed to do this without pulling too much hair!!
It is a very swishy skirt and the material is quite light so I tend to wear a long coat everytime I wear it to avoid any Marilyn Monroe moment...
That's it for the moment- will try to post about Project 22 and 23 this week...
Until next time,