Wednesday, 18 May 2011

A Project A Week 19: Nautical Cardigan- Crochet version

I loved my knitted nautical shrug so much that as soon as it was cast off, I decided to use my newly-acquired skills and make a crochet version! Since the instructions are easy and it is only made from a rectangle, I couldn't see why it wouldn't work, and it was the perfect project to practice on.

I used exactly the same yarn as the knitted one (Palette Collection 018 in Navy Blue) and a hook size 6mm (the only one I seemed to find, I was sure I had a 4.5mm but I might have given it away since my first attempt at crochetting was a failure). Here is the result!

Front view (obviously!)

Back view
Have you noticed this version is much shorter than the knitted one? I did try to take the same sort of measurements though, but I guess garter stitch and double crochet are just two different things.

Knitted version
I chained 45 stitches and did everything double crochet until my rectangle was 50 cms (20 inches) long. I finished by sewing top and bottom corners on each side on 10 cms (3.9 inches).


This is so easy to make and once you get the hang of it you can just do it while watching a movie.

Close up on the stitches

I really like it, but I think that it would only be useful when it is very very hot. And let's face it, it's never going to be hot in Wales, so the crochet shrug will probably find its way to France, just in time for Mother's day (I also have my "lacy scarf" lined up for my mum but I doubt she'll be wearing it this time of year.)


Until next time,
xx

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

That is great looking, and looks like a fun crochet project. I just finished a laptop cover using a dc stitch throughout, and loved striping it with two colors. You will get a lot of use from your shrug, and the color is great!

Popbabe7 said...

Thanks Nancy! I really enjoy crochet, it is definitely a nice alternative to knitting. I haven't tried to make stripes yet, that's on my to-do list!!

Ophelia.K said...

Sew beautiful!! I love the french sleeve looking alot. I used to crochet a lot, and now feel like to do it again! Thanks for inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...