Projects I am really happy about:
- Dogtooth bow (mentionned in this post)
- Garter Stitch Mitts (wk 3)
- Draft Excluder (wk7)
- Knitted Kermit (wk8)
- Embroidery Hoop (wk 10)
- Mug Cosy (wk 11)
- Felt Brooches (wk 13)
- Revamped Cardigan (wk 14)
Projects that are OK, but could have been better:
- Black and White dress (wk 2): let down by the collar (bl**dy bias tape)
- Jumper Revamp (wk 4): They were still a bit boring...
- The death by sewing skirt (wk 5 bis): I hated it on the spot, but now realise it is not too bad, next time I need to use a lighter fabric
- Knitted Purple Hat (wk 6)...
- ...And its partner Pinched Hat (wk 12)
Projects that were really bad but it didn't stop me proudly showcasing them on this blog:
- Mary Jane slippers (wk 5): they were terrible. Great pattern, wrong choice of yarn!
- T-shirt disaster (wk 9): the worst project so far.
It is a good thing I am pleased with how most of my projects turned out, but there is still PLENTY of room for improvement- especially in the sewing department!!!
What about the rules I set for myself? The big majority of these projects have been done with my stash of fabric and yarn, which showed me that I didn't need to go to the Fabric shop or my LYS- everything was already there and I like the challenge of having to do something without spending money! Out of all the projects, only one (the embroidery hoops) was made with newly acquired stuff!
One thing I am a bit disappointed with is the size of my projects. A lot of them are small-ish, and ideally I would like to include a "big" project at least once a month (clothes revamp/ sewing a skirt, a dress). This might happen more, but I need to get more organised. There is a nice balance of sewing and knitting projects, which I am really happy about.
When I started APAW I had 3 objectives: reduce my stash, save money and build up my skills. For the stash I am getting there! I am not so sure about any skills improvement to be honest, I do knit in garter stitch a bit faster now but I've had a bit of a sewing block with the machine lately. I am having a bit of time off for Easter (thank you Will and Kate!!) and my plan is to make a dress during the few days I'll be at home. As for saving money... Well so far this year has been quite hectic with moving out and everything but I have noticed a change. I don't really feel like buying anything anymore and I certainly think twice now before considering adding on something else to my wardrobe. It is the same with yarn, patterns and fabric: if I can't see clearly what I am going to do with them, I just don't bother buying them! I have a stash big enough to last me until the end of the year anyway!!!
Until next time,