Thursday, 21 April 2011

A Project A Week 16: Simple customised dress

As promised in my previous post, here is my 16th project. It's all been done in a rush but I'm hoping to get more done on it. I am happy with it as it stands now but I'm sure I could make it even look better...

First I have a confession to make. The dress used this week was not part of my stash, I actually bought it last Saturday in a charity shop. It's a black dress from Next, with 3/4 sleeves, buttoned on the front. The skirt part is nice and floaty- exactly what I was looking for! It had a button and the belt missing, but this didn't stop as I had some plans for this dress as soon as I saw it. Well, not really precise plans, more of a few ideas. I also got some wool, some vintage Sirdar mohair and a bag full of little balls of wool which were the exact colour of the yarn I used for my Art deco cowl. I was really naughty to buy all this stuff, but I find it hard to resist when it's a charity shop and you know that your shopping will have an effect.





I am really sorry, these pics were taken in just such an haste and the battery on the camera was dying, I will try to take a picture of the dress worn as these don't do it any justice! As you can see there is some black plain buttons which are the original ones, and some vintage red buttons which I had in my stash and decided to add to the dress. Picking which buttons to sew on was actually a bit of a nightmare as the buttons I had in mind were ever so slightly too big, and I didn't feel confident enough to remake 10 buttonholes- it would have ended with a few tears and a ripped dress! So as I had 6 of these buttons I decided to alternate one with the plain black buttons already there. I also removed the belt ties at the front as they were too low for my taste (no holes, thanks to my seam ripper and a lot of patience!)




This is a close up of one of the buttons I added, I bought these months ago in a charity shop which has loads of haberdashery supplies, and countless vintage knitting needles.

So that's it for this week, a very Make do and mend project don't you think? In my opinion this dress would need a bit more work on it to make it truly stand out. I'm considering adding some contrasting fabric on the collar or on the sleeves, or sew a contrasting band of fabric at the bottom. What do you think?

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...