Friday, 15 April 2011

A Project a Week 15: Art Deco cowl

Yeah! I have finally caught up with my projects, and I am very thrilled by this one, as this has been in the making for a while. I am very pleased that I have managed to finish it as well without giving up. Maybe it is a sign that I can start longer and more ambitious projects?

One of the projects on Knitscene which caught my eye was the Rainbow Cowl, basically a rectangle knitted in garter stitch, twisted and sewed at seams for a nice twist. I had some Palette Collection Vintage yarn in Otter (sort of light golden brown) which for some reason reminded me of Art Deco. I had some gorgeous Art Deco buttons in my stash which were a perfect match so there were no excuse anymore: I had to make my own cowl and give it an Art Deco twist!


This is the rectangle knitted, before twisting it and sewing the seams. Because my yarn was made for slightly smaller needles than what was recommended (4.5 mm instead of 6mm) I had to play around and work out how many stitches I had to cast on.You had to knit 23 inches lengthwise but as I was reaching 22 I realised I had just enough yarn left to cast off. I think in the end it isn't as big as the model on the magazine but I prefer it this way.


 These buttons are so nice and really go well with the yarn. I must get more!!


This is how it looks when it's worn, but you can arrange the folds in different manners. And yes, I am wearing my cardi from week 14 (pics were taken the same day).



This time the two folds are worn on each shoulder. I really like this way of wearing it as well, on a simple black dress it would look stunning!

(On a completely different note, can you notice how my hair has grown? I only realised yesterday when looking at pics from week 2. On bad days I regret my haircut. At least now they are long enough to be tied up I guess.)

The Palette yarn was great to work with. It's a shame the shop didn't have any more colours. I was a bit doubtful at first whether I would like this cowl in this colour but I do!

I already have another knitting project in the pipeline which will also probably take me a couple of weeks, in the meantime there will be more sewing and embellishing I guess!

Until next time,

xx

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I love how you're wearing it in the first pic - very 1930s!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

Popbabe7 said...

Thank you! Coming from such a talented and stylish blogger this is fantastic! xx

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Great job and you will LUV wearing it!! Good on you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...