Sunday, 3 April 2011

How do you do it? 2KCBWDAY7

Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.
Apparently today’s post is similar to one from last year’ Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, but since I failed and stopped after 3 days last year I never got to talk about the conditions in which I knit (although last year I did an interview for KnitSpirit and it was one of the questions.) As this is going to be my last Knitting and Crochet Blog week post for this year I thought I’d end it up with a bang. I’m going to reveal you my secret in what makes a great knitting experience for me.... It might also be the reason why I haven’t progressed, thinking about it.

First we haven’t got TV. This was a choice made by ourselves when we moved in together, I’ve never been a TV freak and my boyfriend always complains at the amount of rubbish on. We still watch a lot via the computer, on the BBC Iplayer , 4oD ( mostly documentaries) and Youtube (there are a lot of movies on there- I’ll be honest, most of them are bad but there are also some classic gems). We also have a friend who has a huge DVD collection and he regularly drops by to lend us his latest purchases. I forgot to say his collection is mainly made of bad movies full of testosterone. Some of them are so bad, I would be a man I would get offended these movies were aimed towards me. Think Jason Statham, Vin Diesel, Jean-Claude Vandamme and of course... Steven Seagal.

What a man eh?

So I got used to knit in front of Steven Seagal!!! Sometimes I even forget about my knitting and will watch the movie, despite the fact that it is obviously not Seagal himself doing his stunts, that there is always an opportunity for some gratuitous female nudity, and that the storyline has been basically the same for over 20 years. These movies are hilarious!! You probably understand now why I can’t knit anything that requires too much brainwork- I am too busy watching all the action.

I also like to knit while listening to music, generally wearing my Bluetooth headphones. They are genius as there is no wires getting tangled in your knitting! It is a common fact amongst knitters that depending on the rhythm of the music you're listening to you might knit faster or slowler. So here are a sample of the songs I enjoy knitting along to, there are many many more so this is just a selection:


Albums from Capsule: From Haikara Girl to Nexus 20-60. I really loved their shibuya-kei period, after this it went a bit too electro for me. Such an eclectic mix of sounds, with the voice of the lovely Toshiko Koshijima.

Discovery by Daft Punk: I just love this album, I even think it is the best album to knit along (strange I know)

In general I don't like listening to songs I really know the lyrics of as I tend to concentrate more on the music then! I don't mind lyrics with Capsule as most of them are in japanese, which I cannot understand.

As for having some food while I knit, no way! I was raised in a house where the only place you eat is at a table and when you eat, you don't do anything else. I still think this should be the way so you won't see any crumbs in my project. I do however tend to enjoy a cup of tea, as most of my fellow knitters do :-)

That's it for me for this year's Knitting and Crochet Blog week! I lasted the whole week- can you believe it? I am also getting close of the 100 posts landmark quickly. I might prepare a little something to celebrate so watch this space!

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...