Thursday, 28 April 2011

100th post!!! Free knitted petal tutorial

Can you believe that it's the 100th post already? When I started this blog, I didn't really know what to talk about, until I started sewing and knitting. I could then post about my successes and (multiple) failures. Then I decided to start my Project A Week challenge and now updating my blog is becoming a natural thing to me. I don't get many visitors here, but everytime someone leaves a comment it makes my day, so thank you all for coming here, taking the time to read this and/ or leave feedback.

I wanted to share with you a couple of pics from Weymouth and the surrounding area. As I said before we were extremely lucky with the weather- no rain whatsoever during our stay!!



This is Portland Bill which is just outside Weymouth. It is just a lovely place to spend the afternoon off! There is plenty of green spaces, benches to sit on, a cafe and as you can see there are quite a few rocks as well!! I just love the red and white lighthouse.


There was plenty of bunting in the streets, and the shops were full of Royal Wedding memorabilia.


This is me knitting my nautical shrug in the garden! We spent quite a lot of time there, just enjoying the peace and quiet and making most of the sun.

While I was there me and my boyfriend's gran chatted about knitting and sewing and even exchanged tips and tricks! She patiently taught me to crochet (yeah!!!!) and we got to knit, purl and do RIBBING!!! YEAHHHH! I just need now to remember the way, but it was so helpful to have someone showing me. In exchange I brought her some wool from my stash and showed her how to cast on using the thumb method, as she didn't know how. I went to several wool and fabric shop as well... There are 2 wool shops in Weymouth and 1 fabric shop, and there was one shop in Swanage. It was hard to resist... I am afraid I got more buttons and some wool. Naughty I know...

On the last day my boyfriend's gran showed me a book she got from a charity shop years ago:

There wasn't a date in the book, but there was a religious leaflet dated from 1910 inside which was there when she bought the book, so it looks like this book might be a 100 year old. As I told her "this is a little piece of History"!!





This is the inlay, which I used as a background to the blog.


While having a look through it, it was obvious most of the patterns were obsolete but these below caught my attention:


Isn't it pretty? I thought they were a great embellishment idea, the same sort of thing you find on Tuppence Ha'Penny Vintage blog.

Well as this is the 100th post I thought I'd post the instructions as a little treat for you! I think as the book is so old there shouldn't be any copyright issue, but if there is any problem (if you wrote this book 100 years ago and you are still alive for example) contact me and I'll remove the instructions.



Looks fairly easy doesn't it? Please let me know if you have a go at these- I would love to know how you get on!!!

Until next time,

xx

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Weymouth pictures are gorgeous! Wish I were there! That book cover you show would make a cool embroidered "something"...think I'll enlarge it and try to do something with it. Nice post. Thanks, nancy

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Another question: how did you get that background from the book page? I've only use the templates, but if I look around, can I use a different background fairly easily? If so, I'll try it!

Popbabe7 said...

Thanks Nancy! I really love Weymouth and only wished we stayed a bit longer. It truly felt like I was on holiday!

That is such a great idea about the book cover! It would definitely look great embroidered on something. I really loved the design of this book, shame I didn't take more pics.

I'll email you the instructions for adding your own background on your blog!

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...