Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Tidy or not tidy, that is question-2KCBWDAY3

How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.


Before I moved my stash was all over the place! I used to keep huge bags by and behind the couch where all my yarn was just crammed. Needless to say I didn’t really know how much yarn I owned, so sometimes I used to buy some I already had at the bottom of one of my bags! I could never really plan any knitting, because every time I had to scatter all my yarn around which was a real bother. Actually this could apply to anything in my previous flat, as I said before it was very unpractical and definitely not suited for two people with lots of stuff!

One of the things I really wanted when we moved out was to get a little crafting space. I was picturing organised shelves and a little table to put my sewing machine. This hasn’t completely happened yet for the sewing stash but my knitting stash has been put in order, thanks to a drastic clearing out of our collection of ... mugs! We use to have so many mugs for just us two that we had to keep them in a mini chest of drawers made of plastic. By the time we moved out our collection was too big to fit in there, so we down-sized to about 10 mugs. It sounds a lot still, but compared to what we had before it is a tiny amount! I then used the plastic chest of drawers to put my wool away- it was just about the right size (with a lot of squeeze). I used to have a couple of bags to store my wool, I only kept one of them for my knitting needles and works in progress. We now have a smaller bedroom we use as a storage room at the moment and it is lovely to walk in and find what you want straight away! I’m not quite there yet with sorting out my sewing stuff but I do hope to sort this out pretty soon.

My chest of drawers for yarn and the needle bag on top of it.

As for projects, well... I do have quite a long queue on Ravelry. I tend to choose projects that will only take me a couple of evenings, if it takes too long then I am likely to give it up before it is completed. A project needs to keep me interested, so if I notice I have wips that I haven’t touched for a while I just take them off the needles and use the yarn for something else. “A Project A Week” has also helped me being more organised and plan ahead what I need to do. On this subject I do know that I am still a week behind. Although I have done plenty of knitting during my stay in France all of them were repeats of things I already did in my projects a week: 2 pairs of mittens, and a Kermit the frog. The aim of the project being that I make something new every week I didn’t see the point in blogging about these. But don’t worry I will catch up with my delayed week...

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...