Monday, 28 March 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns – 2KCBWDAY1

Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

So this year I am kicking off Knitting and Crochet Blog week with a post about yarn. I never really paid attention to all the different sorts of yarn before I got into knitting. I thought that you could only knit with wool and that all yarn was the same. My first attempt at knitting – which was disastrous- was with a remnant of yarn my mum had, a blue chunky mix of wool and acrylic- I still have it and would probably be able to make something out of it now.

Once I got into knitting I went a bit mad and bought a lot of wool without really knowing what to do with it. I also bought on the cheap, this is why now I am left with a huge stash of cheap acrylic yarn (one of the reasons behind a Project a Week!). For special projects such as my snood and my little cape, I treated myself to some special wool:  Rico Design in black/white/grey tones and Emu Snowball in Red, and I felt the difference. Working with them was a real pleasure, and kept my hands warm during winter! 




This year though I didn’t knit with chunky wool and found myself using smaller needles. I also discovered that I do like knitting with acrylic. I haven’t gone mad about a special yarn yet, but on the other hand there is a yarn I’ll probably never use again: Rowan Bamboo Tape! What a disappointment. I ordered it online and got 4 balls in pale pink. I started a trendy chale with it but soon stopped. It didn’t feel right at all for me. It felt... cold and synthetic, and then some of the yarn got tangled, so I gave up. I probably didn’t pick the right project for this yarn.

Considering my limited skills in knitting, I don’t see the point in buying expensive yarn unless it is for a specific project. I’m happy with my cheap acrylic, which gave me a few hats, purses, slippers, a bag, Kermit the frog and so on!!!

Until next time,
xxx

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...