Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Skill + 1UP or how knitting made me realise how lazy I am- 2KCBWDAY2

Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year)

...

Well...

For those of you who follow this blog you’ll know that about a year ago my main goal was to master knit and purl, in order to make nice ribbing and attempt more ambitious projects.

In the end it didn’t happen. I’m still knitting in garter stitch and I have realised that I like it. I have gained speed (practice makes perfect) and because most of my projects are simple I can now knit while doing something else. Last week I even knitted in a car (obviously I wasn’t driving). 

There are many, many things you can knit and so many different techniques to learn, but I am just happy with what I can do at the moment. I still plan on learning how to do ribbing, but I haven’t decided yet. After a day at work I’d rather pick something that I know will be easy to knit rather than struggle on a complicated pattern/ technique. I know this sounds incredibly lazy, and sometimes I feel frustrated when I see beautiful knits made with double-pointed needles, because I know that at the moment my skills are limited. And then I remember that knitting is after all something you should enjoy above everything.

Will I carry on with my lazy ways? I really have no ideas! I would love to try different things but I need to find the time to sit down, relax and quietly learn. So I’ll probably set up the same goals as this year: knit-purl knit-knit by next year! I also have a few circular needles which I never dared to touch. As for learning how to crochet, I tried to learn the basics with my gran but never really got the hang of it. I found a cheap book about crochet last week in France with a few nice projects so I might give this a go...

Until next time,

xx


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...