Friday, 11 February 2011

A Project A week 6: Lovely little vintage style purple hat

I cannot believe I'm already on week 6! This week I decided to go back to knitting again, I've been quite busy and after the horrors of last week wanted a nice, easy but at the same time satisfying project.

It's not a secret that I like hats, and since I've learnt how to knit I have made a couple of hats for myself and some lucky members of my family. There are a couple of free garter stitch patterns on the net- I mentioned them in my Christmas Easy Knitting post, but imagine my surprise when I came upon this on Ravelry:

Copyright: Interweave Press
What really made this hat stand out was not so much the model above, but the endless possibilities posted by knitters- hats decorated with cameo, brooches, small buttons, big buttons, with a real vintage vibe. Only problem, the pattern is from a US magazine called Knitscene and is not available on Ravelry. So I decided to use a pattern I knew and take it from there to draft my own little vintage style hat. Here it is:

Blurry picture....








The Pattern I used is the Shortrows Sideways hat, which I knit a lot and already experimented with once (I increased the number of stitched considerably to make a slouchy hat for my sister- it worked pretty well). I decided to add on 10 stitches from the beginning, and follow the same pattern but with 10 stitches more. So it's cast on 45, knit, knit 44, knit back, knit 42, knit back, etc, until I reached 32. The yarn I used is some soft acrylic/mohair blend I think, which is nice to knit once you get the hang of it, but also tend to slip off the needle. This is easy to knit but you still need to be concentrating to know how many stitches you have to knit next!

The knitting part took me a couple of evenings, I lost count as to how many "wedges" I made but flat the hat was around 35cm lengthwise, and I have a smallish head.

Once I cast off, I sewed the top together, and gathered the two sides together very tightly to create the short side of the hat. I finished off by sewing an Art Deco style button.

I was very proud of this hat, until I tried it on, and realised it doesn't suit me! It looks like a swimming cap on me. This is why you haven't got a picture of me wearing it. I think it's just a tad too small.  I'm planning on making another one but maybe this time I'll cast on 55 stitches. It's a shame because it's a really cute hat. I might try again tomorrow and see if I think it suits me better.

That's it for now, but the week-end has only started so there might be another post- you never know!

Until next time,

xx


EDIT 12/02/2011: Here is a horrid picture of me wearing the hat. I think it speaks for itself!

6 comments:

Noas' Libellule said...

I cannot believe it does not suit you! Very interesting pattern.

Popbabe7 said...

Yes the pattern is so nice, it just needs adjusting a bit. I added a pic at the end of the post, the main problem is that it's too short, it won't even cover my ear on the non gathered side.

Petit Caillou said...

You look like the women on the red French stamps !!
It is a really nice hat, suiting you well !
Regarding Ravelry, ... I am not at ease surfing on this website, and all the models are in English ... I do speak English .. but not knitting English !! One day, if I am courageous, I will have a look at the English knitting dictionnay, I know they are existing...

Popbabe7 said...

Thank you... Maybe it will grow on me.

All the technical terms are a bit hard to understand at first. Check out Knit Spirit's "Dico UK/FR" page, there's an alphabetical list of terms which will probably help you a lot. I'm only knitting basic models so I've been able to follow a pattern so far!

xx

Tiffany said...

I love your idea of a project a week! May have to pick that one up... although I've got 18 projects every week day to work on...
Love your blog! I'm glad you found me so I could find you!

Popbabe7 said...

Thanks! I'm moving this week-end and my internet is going to be disconnected for a few days so unfortunately a Project a week is on hold, but I'm hoping I can start again next week. I am amazed at how easy it's been so far- and seeing my stash decreasing its size was welcome when it came to packing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...