Saturday, 22 January 2011

A Project A week 3: Very easy garter stitch fingerless mitts ( with tutorial)

So here it is, Project 3: my version of fingerless mitts, in garter stitch!


I wanted to knit some mitts for some time and was looking for a super easy pattern before Christmas without success. I gave up, thinking that there was probably no way I could make mitts without a bit of ribbing or intricate knitting. This week I grabbed by needles and was determined to have a go. This came out perfect, especially considering that fitting the hole for the thumb was due to me panicking that my mitt was too long!!!


There are a couple of garter stitch mitts on Ravelry, but I don't think they're as easy as mine :-)
 

So how did I do it?

I used 4.5 mm needles and some blue double knit yarn I had in my stash- this was actually one of the first yarn I bought. It's acrylic, but nothing stops you from using a more luxurious wool, as long as it can be knitted on 4.5 mm needles. Like the batch of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in gorgeous colours I saw in John Lewis today on sale at £3.35 a ball.- I resisted. I'm stupid!!!!

There is no need to worry about gauge, you only need to check that the mitt will fit your hand.

Cast on 40 stitches. Knit 4 rows. On 5th row, knit *1-30* (I cast off the 30th stitch on 29th but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.) Tie a bit of different colour wool  where you stopped knitting (or use a stitch marker). Ignore the last ten stitches for the following 5 rows. You should get little by little a hole which should be big enough to fit your thumb. See pic below:

It's better for the hole to be a bit tight than be loose as the yarn will stretch
When you're happy with the size of the hole (which takes about 5 rows as I said before) knit the full row (i.e the 40 stitches) again. All you need to do then is knit until it fits the hand!


Getting there!!
Now, do you see the top, where the two sides nearly meet? At this point you will need to cast off the first 10 stitches, otherwise you'll end up with the top of your mitt being loose. Carry on knitting the 30 stitches left until they, too nearly reach the other side, then cast off. You now have an irregular rectangle, just like this:



Fold in two then sew the borders as neatly as you can:

Make sure the two curved bits at the top are matching and sewn together

You might decide to turn it over if you feel the seam stands out too much (the beauty of garter stitch being that it looks the same both sides)

That's it! Your first mitt is done!


I customised mine with big red buttons and by folding the bottom:


You could make a set with mitts, scarf/ snood and hat!

That's it for this week, hope you like the pattern and if anything is unclear, let me know!

(Oh, and of course, if you like this pattern, please don't steal it, or make 100000 mitts and decide to sell them to non- knitters).

Well it's going rather well so far, what will be next week's Project? Out of my list I haven't decided yet....

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...