Sunday, 16 January 2011

A Project A week 2: Black and white dress

A Project A Week is going fine so far (we're only in week 2 after all)!! Here is my second project: a Black and white knitted dress!

 
Here are some pics of the dress in action (= me fooling around in the living room, trying to find an arty 60s pose!!!):
A blurry one to start off with- it is very hard to keep up with me.

I just look like I'm going to come out of the screen to eat you (only joking)


So how did I do it?

First I used a white roll neck t-shirt I bought once in Matalan, thinking it would be a good basic item to have in my wardrobe. I do wear roll neck jumpers, but never in white. I have a problem with white roll neck jumpers. They remind me of Roger Moore.

White roll neck alert- I think this was in a James Bond movie

I have nothing against Roger Moore but I don't really want to look like him, especially in "North Sea Hijack"

I decided to remove the roll neck, which was surprisingly easy. I then marked where I wanted to sew the bottom, took account of the seam allowance and cut using my rotary cutter (which, along with my quilting mat, make cutting so much easier). I used a zigzag stitch to prevent fraying on the side I just cut and then moved on to the bottom part of the skirt.

For the bottom part of the skirt I used some black knitted fabric I took from a Sainsbury TU dress I really liked but was a bit too short (thinking now, it was probably more a tunic than a dress). I did the same as for the top, cutting and zigzag stitching it. All I had to do was to sew the two together, and my dress started to take shape!

The only problem I encountered was that the bit that was stitched together between top and bottom tended to go up, showing through the white fabric, but by pressing it down it was all sorted.

So I had the main bodice but was left with a fraying neck line, and the dress looked a bit bland. Sewing the dress didn't take me long at all and I was up for a challenge, so I decided to have a go for the first time at sewing bias binding.


It wasn't the easiest thing to sew I have to be honest and I'm not sure I should have done it.
The neckline looks a bit wonky now- I'm not sure you can sew bias binding with jersey??

I was almost getting there, the next step was to rummage through my button box and find the right buttons. I settled on two black square buttons I got from a local fabric in their reduced to clear section- the packaging looked very 80s. The brand was Vogue Star- not sure of this is a real Vogue related item or a company trying to cash in!!! It's a shame I only had two of them, I would have liked some more to sew on the sleeves.

Even the white roll neck part was re-used as I turned it into a hair band- which will come handy now that I can't attach my hair anymore. Overall I'm really happy with my new dress, even if the neck-line looks a bit odd. The only other problem is that since the top is white it tends to be transparent, but this would happen with any white top, and it is easily solved by wearing a white t- shirt under it.

That's it for now. I'll probably make some more dresses from this template- they are so easy to make and you can really customise it to your liking. I have written down a couple of ideas for the next few weeks- I'm quite excited about it!!

Until next time,

xx

1 comment:

Noas' Libellule said...

This is very creative of you! Nice result. Keept it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...