Monday, 26 April 2010

Starting out

Today is the start of Knitting & Crochet blog week, I’ve decided to take part so will try to update my blog every day with a post related to the subject of the day.

I properly got into knitting a few months ago, after a failed attempt two summers ago. I asked my mum to show me how to knit but the wool she had was very fuzzy and wasn’t really a good one to start off with. I remember being so tense that my hands ached... In the meantime my sister who isn’t into crafts picked up some needles and effortlessly knitted a few stitches. A few months passed and when I tried again, I realised I forgot how to do it, so gave up. In the meantime my parents also got a book called “Le tricot c’est facile” which should have been called “Avec nos dessins, le tricot devient difficile” ! I used to look at the drawings for hours, unable to decipher what the hands were doing. It just made me feel a bit stupid after a while.

Last year at the beginning of summer I broke my wrist and was stuck for 3 months with a glamorous plaster cast. This really made me comprehend that I should appreciate the things we take for granted- ever tried to get dressed or wash your hair with only one hand? Once I got my wrist back (!) I decided to try knitting again. This time I wasn’t going to give up, and by looking on the web (why didn’t I think of this before??) came across some fantastic sites and videos that I could pause and rewind forever. What a change from staring at a book where the static drawings would confuse you the more you looked at them!!

I think learning to knit is something that was meant to happen to me. I’ve always been really interested in making my own things, customising my clothes/ bags/ shoes and I now wonder why it took me so long to learn how to knit. I thought it was too complicated, too complex. The Internet was also a huge incentive as looking at what other people could do is very inspiring. Was I inspired by celebrities? Maybe a little bit, but I was never one of these people who thought knitting was for grannies only!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...